About 90% of body fat is just below the skin. This is called Subcutaneous fat. the other 10% is called Visceral fat, it sits underneath the abdominal wall and in spaces surrounding organs
Visceral fat is the fat associated with various health problems like
Type 2 diabetes
If your goal is to lose belly fat, there’s no easy or quick method. Crash diets and supplements won’t do the trick. And targeting a single area of the body for fat reduction isn’t likely to work
Tips on how to reduce belly fat
1. Switch drinks
Drink water instead of soda.
Try black coffee instead of coffee flavoured with added cream and sugar.
Cut down on alcohol.
2.Avoid high-calorie foods
Avoid fast food and ultra-processed foods.
Eat fruit instead of baked goods and packaged sweets.
Choose low-fat dairy foods over high-fat ones.
Eat grilled or broiled foods instead of fried foods.
Check calorie counts on restaurant menus. You might be surprised at how many calories are in a standard restaurant meal.
Use a free calorie-counting app
Measure oils used for cooking.
Cut down on oil and other salad dressings.
Use a smaller plate or bowl.
Eat slower, and wait 20 minutes after eating to make sure you’re full.
At restaurants, take half your meal home.
Don’t eat in front of the TV, where it’s easy to keep snacking.
Exercises to help reduce belly fat
Exercises that target the abdomen may not affect your visceral fat, but they can help strengthen your muscles, and that’s a good thing.
The important thing is to keep moving and build exercise into your day. You don’t have to stick with one thing, either. Mix it up so you don’t get bored. Try:
30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise on most days
aerobic exercise twice a week
strength training to build muscle mass
stretches first thing in the morning and again before bed